Student Support Packages Available to International Students
Many international students are facing difficulty during COVID-19, so many private and local government organisations are organising student support packages to help. Below are a list that are available to international students.
Study Queensland – Queensland Student Hub
As part of the COVID-19 Immediate Industry Recovery Package, wellbeing services are now available to students across Queensland via an innovative digital platform. The Queensland Student Hub has been established online to complement support provided by the existing Student Hub Network in Brisbane, Gold Coast and Cairns. Students can book online appointments with support officers who will be available to assist them amidst the pandemic and provide individual counselling.
- Queensland International Student Crisis Assistance Package
As an international student studying at a private education and training provider based in Queensland, you may be eligible for financial support. The eligibility criteria are found below. If you are applying, the information you provide must be true and accurate.
If you are assessed as eligible you will receive a $500 payment to your Australian bank account. Please note, it could take up to two weeks to receive this money into your bank account.
The portal will be open soon. The portal will remain open until all allocated funding is exhausted. We encourage you to apply immediately if you need support. Please follow Study Queensland on their Facebook Page, so you know when the portal is open.
South Australian Government – International Student Support Package
South Australian Government is releasing an International Student Support Package designed to support international students currently residing in South Australia and facing financial hardship.
New South Wales Government – International Students Crisis Accommodation
The NSW Government is providing a $20 million package for international students who are stranded in Australia due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The crisis accommodation will be limited to international student visa holders in genuine need, who meet all the following criteria:
- have been evicted or are facing imminent eviction
- have evidence of being laid off employment
- have less than $1500 in savings and no other avenues of support.
Applications for accommodation are expected to open in the coming weeks.
Please subscribe to the Study NSW mailing list to receive updates on this support measure.
Government Support Packages – Access to Superannuation
On 4th April 2020, Australian Government has announced that any student who has been in Australia for more than 12 months and have been severely impacted by the COVID-19 can access their superannuation.
Other Support Packages – Food
The following organisations offering assistance to international students who are struggling to purchase food:
Additional food support services are listed on the following websites:
Other Support – Mental Health
If you need emotional or mental health support, below are a list of organisations to turn for help:
- Lifeline Australia – 13 11 14
- Youth Beyond Blue – 1300 224 636
- headspace – 1800 650 890
- Kids Helpline – 1800 55 1800
Other Support – Overseas Health Cover (OSHC)
If you have questions regarding your OSHC , the best thing to do is contact your provider directly for more information.
- ahm OSHC: Refer to the ahm OSHC website for its latest COVID-19 response. Students under this provider are encouraged to contact ahm directly for information.
- Allianz Global Assistance: Allianz Global Assistance has issued an extensive COVID-19 information sheet for international students who have Allianz Global Assistance cover – it is available here.
- BUPA Australia: BUPA Australia has released some information regarding its cover and answers a few general COVID-19 FAQs here. For more information, international students are advised to contact BUPA Australia directly.